Sandwiched between two vast oceans, Nicaragua is home to some of the most iconic surf spots in the world. The waves are big, and the beaches are wide, but on the off chance the surf runs flat, what else does Nicaragua have to offer? Infiltrater Alonso Vargas, captain at La Barra Surf Camp, told us what he gets up to when the waves disappear.
1. Fishing is so fun around here. We have 2 boats ready to strike! Some of the local fish include Red Snapper, Snook, Sierra, Roster fish and Barracuda. I also like to take the boat into the estuary for some exploring into the mangroves where we see flamingos and Caiman!
2. The city of Leon is about 40 minutes from my house. This city was the original capital of Nicaragua, before Managua. The history of this colonial town is amazing! The big white Cathedral, "Our Lady Of Grace", dates back to 1762, and was awarded World Heritage Site status with the United Nations Educational and the Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). You can donate a few Cordobas and walk around its rooftops to get the best view in the city! Leon was also the city where the Revolutionary War took place from 1979 to 1990. It encompassed the rising opposition to the Somoza dictatorship in the 1960s and 1970s! You can visit the museum in the main square. The restaurants are also really good!
3. Volcano boarding! Yes, I like to go boarding down an active volcano! Leon became the only place in the world do this! I like to Surf early in the a.m. then ride down the volcano in the afternoon. So much fun!
4. Volcano Masaya night tour is awesome! It’s about a 2 hour drive to Masaya from my house. I like to leave around 5 p.m. and get to the volcano around 7 p.m. The view into the lava lake at night is the most mesmerizing thing I've ever seen! Its a must-do one evening.
5. I have a friend at a neighboring surf house that offers paintball games in the jungle! I went for the first time with a group of friends last week and we had a blast shooting at each other playing capture the flag running around the jungle! I'm totally hooked! When the waves go flat, you will most likely find me paintballing, and the best part is that its only 5 minutes away from the house!